A pleasant anise flavor distinguishes this from other quick breads. I've found that the old-fashioned flavor appeals to all.—Henrietta Tenhage, Fergus, Ontario
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon aniseed
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, honey and oil. Combine the flour,
- baking soda and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with
- buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in aniseed.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for
- 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire
- rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 152 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.