Anise Raisin Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the sugar, orange juice, butter, eggs, egg whites, lemon juice, orange peel, salt, lemon peel, extract and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 each: 170 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.