Anise Hard Candy
I like to wrap pieces of this candy in plastic wrap to share with friends.Bea Aubry, Dubuque, Iowa
51 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons anise extract or 1 teaspoon anise oil
- 6 to 9 drops red food coloring
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and
- cook for 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Uncover; cook on
- medium-high heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads
- 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring (if using
- anise oil, keep face away from mixture as the aroma will be very
- strong). Pour into a buttered 13-in. x 9-in. pan. When cooled
- slightly but not hardened, cut into 1-in. squares. Cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 8-1/2 dozen.
Editor's Note: The accuracy of your candy thermometer is very important.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 pieces) equals 49 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein.