Anise Cutout Cookies Recipe
Mother prepared these soft cookies for holidays and special-occasion meals. My seven siblings and I gobbled them up as fast as she made them. I still can't resist the cinnamon-sugar coating. —Jerri Moror, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 2 cups shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons aniseed
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy; add eggs and aniseed. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture. Add apple juice and mix well.
- 2. On a floured surface, knead until well blended, about 4-5 minutes. Roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut into 2-in. shapes. Place on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 12-16 minutes or until lightly browned. Combine sugar and cinnamon; roll cookies in the mixture while still warm. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 5 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 254 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC