- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in buttermilk; set aside. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in yeast mixture; mix well.
- Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead for 1 minute. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 3/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Prick tops with a fork. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Angel Yeast Biscuits
Sort By :
"To my dismay, when I went to open my new bottle of buttermilk, I had picked up skim milk by mistake. So I tried out the powdered buttermilk I had and it worked great! You mix the powder in with the dry ingredients and use warm water for the moisture in the recipe."