- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional white or colored sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugars, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Sift together flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt. Add to creamed mixture; mix until blended. Shape into large marble-size balls. Dip half of ball into water, then in sugar. Place, sugared side up, on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 6 minutes or until done. Cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Angel Sugar Crisps
Sort By :
"Mine came out like the other reviewer-flat and did not crack. I followed the directions exactly. I use a USA cookie sheet that bakes all of my cookies evenly. Mine look like a large vanilla wafer. However they do tast good."
"Oh my goodness!! these are so delicious. I went according to the recipe but instead of using large marble-size balls, I used my 1 tsp. melon scooper and dipped them alternately in red and green sugar. They came out great! I yielded around 6 dozen cookies and they were a good size. I have frozen them until Christmas so my husband won't eat them all!"
"Giving this recipe 3 stars because it's not the original. You must add chopped walnuts...my mom used to make these when I was little and I have been making these for forever myself, but always with walnuts because they are just not same without them and leave out the almond extract doubling the vanilla. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes...childhood favorite!"
"Has anyone tried freezing this cookie? I'd like to get a head start on my Christmas baking and thought these dipped in colored sugar would be pretty."
"These were very good - followed recipe."