Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream and mixed fresh berries, optional
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- 2. Add the cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 120 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (19g sugars, trace fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Angel Food Cake
"First of all, the first instruction tells you to "Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside." The next instruction says to "Gradually add sugar....Gradually fold in flour mixture." How does one gradually add sugar after you've mixed all your sugar in with the flour already?"Second of all, an angel food cake made like this has to stick to the sides of the pan, or it would not rise. The egg mixture must cling to and climb the edges of the pan, or it will fall. (Keep in mind, angel food cake does not contain leavening ingredients, just those stiff egg whites." To clean, just soak in boiling hot water for a bit, and the sugar will melt and dissolve off."
"Best Angel Food Cake ever. Period!"
"This is almost like the Angel Food Cake that my Great Aunt made. She used a bakers dozen eggs (which is 13 eggs). She also put the tube pan a 425 degree oven while making the batter. She also used cake flour not regular flour. She also sifted the cake flour and powder sugar 3 times together. Once mixed as stated, she put in the batter and baked the cake minutes (no longer no less). Always comes out fantastic. The preheating of the pan take down the baking time."
"Very moist and tender!! Not rubbery like box mix angel food cakes"
"This was very tasty but it stuck to my pan."
"My sister made this cake for her birthday party, and honestly it was the best cake I ever tasted!"
"If I don't own a tube pan, can I just use a bunt pan?"
"This was the first time I made an angel food cake. Turned out great. Such a great recipe. So easy. It is a keeper"
"My family LOVED this and they are very picky. I try to make healthier foods and they want junk. This is a good compromise."
"This was wonderful. I made it plain one time and I added 1.5 tsp. cinamon to the next recipe. This was very, very good. I made my own caramel apple glaze and put homemade whip cream as a topper. Everyone absolutely loved it and they want it again! Last recipe I used tasted very eggy, this one was anything but! Absolutely love it!"
"Very yummy Angel Food Cake recipe. This recipe has about a 1/2 cup less sugar than other recipes, but it has a perfect amount of sweetness. Especially after adding sweetened fruit and whipping cream or ice cream."