Angel Food Cake With Caramel Sauce
I enjoy making desserts, and it's especially satisfying when my goodies are devoured quickly. This one always qualifies for that distinction.
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until
- smooth. Fold in whipped topping; set aside. Cut cake horizontally
- into two layers. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate; spread
- with cream cheese mixture. Replace top; refrigerate.
- In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup of cream, sugar, corn syrup, butter
- and salt. Cook and stir until mixture reaches soft-ball stage
- (234°). Slowly add remaining cream. Cook and stir until mixture
- returns to soft-ball stage (234°). Remove from the heat; stir in
- vanilla. Cool. Drizzle over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield:
- 12 servings.