Angel Food Cake with Berry Sauce Recipe
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup blueberry vodka
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2-1/2 cups fresh raspberries, divided
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons raspberry liqueur
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Brush top and sides of cake with vodka. Combine cornstarch and water; set aside.
- For sauce: In a small saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups raspberries, 1 cup blueberries, pineapple juice and liqueur. Bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the strawberries, blackberries and remaining raspberries and blueberries. Serve sauce with cake. Yield: 16 servings (6 cups sauce).
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Angel Food Cake with Berry Sauce(11)
Sort By :
I would like to see and read recipe, however I do not have access to it. Oh Well!
The baking instructions should eliminate the confusion. Now, I just wish someone would make this and comment on its taste and "star power". Guess I'll just go ahead and try it and then I'll review it!
I agree with @tsuop! In fact, the last sentence in the paragraph about the cake was supposed to be put as the first of the sauce method, but it's just a "cosmetic" mistake and each cook (not only above-average !!!) should understand it. It isn't confusing at all. :)
I agree the cornstarch should be listed with the sauce. If you are an above-average cook it shouldn't be to hard to figure out!! The cornstarch & water goes in the sauce, that's what thickens the sauce!! Make the sauce & just stop whining!
This sounds really good! I don't understand why some are having issues with the recipe. It doesn't seem confusing at all.
More Recipe Collections
- Angel Food Cake >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Blackberry Recipes >
- Blueberry Cake Recipes >
- Blueberry Desserts >
- Blueberry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >