Angel Food Cake with Berry Sauce Recipe
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup blueberry vodka
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2-1/2 cups fresh raspberries, divided
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 1/3 cup DOLE Canned Pineapple Juice
- 3 tablespoons raspberry liqueur
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- 2. Add the cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Brush top and sides of cake with vodka. Combine cornstarch and water; set aside.
- 5. For sauce: In a small saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups raspberries, 1 cup blueberries, pineapple juice and liqueur. Bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 6. Remove from the heat; stir in the strawberries, blackberries and remaining raspberries and blueberries. Serve sauce with cake. Yield: 16 servings (6 cups sauce).
1 slice with 1/3 cup sauce equals 189 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 79 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.