The first time I tasted this, I was amazed how well the blueberries and watermelon go with the peppery steak. Use whatever fruits are in season so you can serve this anytime. —Veronica Callaghan, Glastonbury, Connecticut
Featured In: 45 Super Foods for Your Brain
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 boneless beef top loin steaks (1-1/4 inches thick and 8 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup seeded diced watermelon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Rub steaks with chili pepper and garlic salt. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 7-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°).
- In a bowl, combine salsa ingredients. Cut steak into slices; serve with salsa. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Ancho Garlic Steaks with Summer Salsa in Simple & Delicious August/September 2015