Put a little spice in your menu. Anaheim peppers, jalapenos and cayenne heat up this full-flavored tortilla soup. —Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
- 6 Anaheim peppers
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped, optional
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- Place the Anaheim peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil peppers 4 in. from heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; let stand, covered, 20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Coarsely chop peppers; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Fry tortilla strips in batches until crisp and browned. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Add broth, tomato puree, cilantro, cumin, coriander, bay leaf, half of the fried tortilla strips, reserved peppers and, if desired, jalapenos. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Process in batches in a blender until blended. Return to the Dutch oven.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Add chicken, lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne to the soup; heat through. Serve with cheese, avocado and remaining tortilla strips. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Anaheim Chicken Tortilla Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p28
Reviews for Anaheim Chicken Tortilla Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review