Ample Brown Betty Recipe
Evelyn Kennell of Roanoke, Illinois sends the recipe for Ample Brown Betty. It's great for using leftover bread.
- 2 loaves (20 ounces each) white bread with crusts, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 32 cups)
- 2 cups butter, melted
- 40 cups (about 12 pounds) sliced peeled apples
- 3 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. Toss bread cubes with butter; divide half of the cubes among four greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Arrange apples over bread, using 10 cups per pan. Mix 2 cups of brown sugar, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon; divide into fourths and sprinkle over the apples. Mix water and lemon juice; pour a fourth into each pan. Top with remaining bread cubes. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar equally over pans. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 25-30 minutes longer. Yield: 50-60 servings.
1 piece: 198 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Ample Brown Betty
Reviewed Dec. 15, 2011
"this is very good"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC