- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugars. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Amish Sugar Cookies
"I substituted 1tsp vanilla for 1/2vanilla & 1/2almond. Pretty good cookie, makes a lot. I still prefer the old fashioned sugar cookies you roll out & make with shortening or lard but these less time consuming and still good."
"My mother gave me this recipe more than 30 years ago. I flatten them w/a fork crossed and sprinkle the center w/colored sugar. I like to make them for Christmas w/green & red sugars. The butter is necessary, do not substitute. These are always a hit!! I bake all cookies at 350* Do Not over bake these cookies !!"
"These cookies are excellent, I've been making them for many years, there my daughter's favorite, just one exception to your recipe, I roll mines in granulated sugar before baking, I have made them without rolling in sugar, both ways are quite good, I think the sugar gives them an added crunch , this is a recipe to treasure."
"I made these last week, rave reviews and so easy. Makes a big batch to share. It's a keeper."
"These were unbelievably good! Easy to make but I would cut the amount of sugar a bit. My grandchildren loved them ! Terry (Bronxville NY)"