Amish Raisin Cookies
I found this recipe for a chewy raisin cookie in one of the many Amish cookbooks I own. I haven't seen it duplicated anywhere else. —Marcia Wagner, Berrien Springs, Michigan
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, combine raisins and water. Bring to a boil; cook
- until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking
- powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir
- in raisins with liquid.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake
- at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the surface cracks. Remove to
- wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 2 cookies equals 132 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium,