Amish Raisin Cookies Recipe
I found this recipe for a chewy raisin cookie in one of the many Amish cookbooks I own. I haven't seen it duplicated anywhere else. —Marcia Wagner, Berrien Springs, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:36 servings
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine raisins and water. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Set aside to cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins with liquid.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the surface cracks. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
2 cookies equals 132 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC