- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, combine raisins and water. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins with liquid.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the surface cracks. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews forAmish Raisin Cookies
"Most definately have to completely cool the liquid/ raisins before mixing in. If you dont you get a soupy mess. Also, I suggest adding tsp cinnamon for a nice punch of flavor. Light sprinkle of white sugar crystals for decor and if like more sweet."
"I just pulled these cookies out of the oven. They are a really nice tasting cookie, but nowhere near looking like the picture ! I wanted to try because they were a flat raisin cookie, a lot different from my other raisin cookie recipes, but I will make again. I want to try with chocolate chips because there are no spices and I love the texture. I will rate a 4 only because they aren't like the picture. Otherwise really good."
"Delicious! I've made them a couple of times now - I've adapted the recipe to be vegan using Nucoa buttery sticks and Egg-Replacer. Very good! I sprinkle the top of each cookie with a little Demerara sugar to give them that little extra crunchy sugary magic!"
"wow this cookies are so good and I didn't even put raisins in it!! Good Job who ever put this on here!!"
"very bland tasting...maybe some cinnamon would help but all and all not a very good tasting cooking...everything ended up in the garbage"
"Did not like these, didn't turn out as pictured, recipe made only 40 cookies not even close to 6 dozen , will not make again, I think there is something wrong with it ?"
"I am an experienced cook and huge fan of TOH, however I have tried twice to get this excellent tasting cookie to come out as pictured and "cracked." I will try once more."
"I think there is something wrong here. One says it makes 36 cookies and in the directions says it makes 6 dozen? I think more of 3 dozen cookies."
"I DON'T LIKE RAISINS IN BAKED GOODIES SO I USE DRY CRANBERRIES. GOOD"
"So easy and turned out perfect! These cookies are the best raisin cookie I ever made! I did however microwave 1/2 cup water and put my raisins in then microwaved 45 seconds more as to not have to guess at the liquid. I am going to try this wonderful recipe with 1 cup oatmeal and craisins next time because I think an oatmeal version would be to die for!"