- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, combine raisins and water. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins with liquid.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the surface cracks. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Amish Raisin Cookies
"Delicious! I've made them a couple of times now - I've adapted the recipe to be vegan using Nucoa buttery sticks and Egg-Replacer. Very good! I sprinkle the top of each cookie with a little Demerara sugar to give them that little extra crunchy sugary magic!"
"wow this cookies are so good and I didn't even put raisins in it!! Good Job who ever put this on here!!"
"very bland tasting...maybe some cinnamon would help but all and all not a very good tasting cooking...everything ended up in the garbage"
"Did not like these, didn't turn out as pictured, recipe made only 40 cookies not even close to 6 dozen , will not make again, I think there is something wrong with it ?"
"I am an experienced cook and huge fan of TOH, however I have tried twice to get this excellent tasting cookie to come out as pictured and "cracked." I will try once more."
"I think there is something wrong here. One says it makes 36 cookies and in the directions says it makes 6 dozen? I think more of 3 dozen cookies."
"I DON'T LIKE RAISINS IN BAKED GOODIES SO I USE DRY CRANBERRIES. GOOD"
"So easy and turned out perfect! These cookies are the best raisin cookie I ever made! I did however microwave 1/2 cup water and put my raisins in then microwaved 45 seconds more as to not have to guess at the liquid. I am going to try this wonderful recipe with 1 cup oatmeal and craisins next time because I think an oatmeal version would be to die for!"
"Sounded wonderful but 1/8 of a tsp of salt is not enough. They did not have the look of the picture as they did not spread. I live way up here in Alaska and we have a very low humidity so I had to add liquid. I will try them again but will add oatmeal in place of some of the flour and add more salt and some cinnamon."
"Oh my, these are wonderful...crisp edges and chewy middle and crackly looking on top. This recipe is going on my regular rotation. I am going to try rum flavoring for part of the vanilla next time. I make my own brown sugar and these had a perfect molasses taste. Wonder if that would be so if I used purchased brown sugar..."