- 3 to 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups cold butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook onions in 1/2 cup butter over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the poppy seeds, salt, paprika and pepper; cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and sugars. Cut in 1-1/4 cups butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Melt the remaining butter. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sour cream and melted butter. make a well in dry ingredients; stir in egg mixture just until moistened.
- Spread into a greased 10-in. springform pan or 10-in. cast-iron skillet. Spoon onion mixture over the dough. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Amish Onion Cake
"I tasted the cake! IT IS SO GOOD! The onion topping really gives this cake a lot of flavor! I took it to the hospital today to share with my Volunteer Resources Office & also the Cancer Registry Office! I'm rating this recipe as a 5* recipe! I have made some adjustments to this recipe, though and here is my adaptation: I used 4 Vidalia onions, chopped, 2 tsp. salt DIVIDED: 1 tsp. for the topping and 1 tsp. for the batter. I used 3/4 cup unflavored yogurt instead of sour cream! I greased and floured the 10" springform pan I used!Please note that I baked the cake for 45 to 50 minutes! seeds The bread came out looking just like the photo! Another thing: Place foil around the pan! My pan did leak! Wrap securely, so that at least the drips will be on the foil! I did put my pan on a large baking sheet! Thank you, Mitzi Sentiff, for sharing your recipe with TOH! I found that I could get a total of 15 slices out of this recipe! delowenstein"
"The top on this is wonderful. The cake was rather bland. It calls for a LOT of butter and the pan that I baked it on was covered with butter. I will make it again, but will experiment with the cake. Add some extra flavoring (maybe garlic or a little onion stirred right into the dough. I may make the topping again just to use on a grilled hamburger. That is really good."