Amish Onion Cake Recipe
- 3 to 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups cold butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook onions in 1/2 cup butter over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the poppy seeds, salt, paprika and pepper; cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and sugars. Cut in 1-1/4 cups butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Melt the remaining butter. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sour cream and melted butter. make a well in dry ingredients; stir in egg mixture just until moistened.
- Spread into a greased 10-in. springform pan. Spoon onion mixture over the dough. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Amish Onion Cake(1)
Sort By :
The top on this is wonderful. The cake was rather bland. It calls for a LOT of butter and the pan that I baked it on was covered with butter. I will make it again, but will experiment with the cake. Add some extra flavoring (maybe garlic or a little onion stirred right into the dough. I may make the topping again just to use on a grilled hamburger. That is really good.