- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Amish Breakfast Casserole
"Really great breakfast dish! I like to add green chilies along with some salt and pepper."
"Added green chilis and chopped red pepper. It turned out really good!"
"I followed this recipe exactly and would never made this dish again. Everyone who tried it thought it was missing something and I agreed. Maybe green peppers or ground mustard?"
"The best ever! I add bacon and sausage this morning with onion and peppers. I used Jalepeno cheese and cheddar! Very moist too. A must try if you haven't!"
"Easy casserole to make and excellent flavor."
"Changed this up just a tiny bit. Used 8 eggs, 6 cups hash browns and diced ham instead of the bacon. It was a huge hit for the guys at the cabin - nice hearty breakfast before a day of snowmobiling in Wisconsin's north woods! And the leftovers were terrific the next morning."
"Delicious! I made 2 dishes of this, one with ham and one with sausage. Added a couple extra eggs to one dish. Next time I make this I will also add a couple extra egg giving the dish a little more fluff."
"Delicious!! I added a handful of diced ham along with the bacon- just because. Really liked the hash brown base. Quick and easy to prepare. The family loved it- multiple requests to for the recipe. Will definitely make this again!!"
"I prepare breakfast for 12-16 Methodist fellows once a month, and this particular recipe is their favorite. It contains all the ingredients in one place!!"