- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Warm milk
- Fresh fruit and/or brown sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Spread evenly in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately spoon into bowls; add milk. Top with fruit and/or brown sugar if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Amish Baked Oatmeal
"Did not have much taste. Will not make again."
"I agree with other reviewers: cut the sugar and butter in half, and change the size of the baking dish. I use 1/4 cup of pure brown cane sugar, and substitute 1/8 cup of coconut oil for the butter (just my preference--healthier, and adds a hint of coconut flavor). I bake it for 20-25 minutes in a glass bread loaf dish. FREAKING DELICIOUS! Only serves 2, maybe 3 people. The 4 star rating is not for taste, but because of the adjustments needed with sugar, butter, baking dish and number of servings. Those need to be pretty close for 5 stars. That said, with the adjustments, this is the best oatmeal I've ever had!"
"Have made this several times, use 1/4 cup of sugar instead of 1/2 cup."
"Double this and my adult kids devour it - a family favorite. I use brown vs, white sugar."
"This is excellent. However, I quadruple this recipe and then it is the perfect amount for a 9x13 pan. Then I would say it feeds around 10 people. I cut back on the sugar a little and do half brown sugar half white sugar, and use a little less butter. You can compare this to the brown sugar baked oatmeal recipe on this site. That makes much more in a 9x13, a little too much, and isn't quite as good."