Amish Apple Scrapple Recipe
Just the aroma of this cooking at breakfast takes me back to my days growing up in Pennsylvania. This recipe was a favorite at home and at church breakfasts.
- 3/4 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced apple, unpeeled
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Maple syrup
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- 2. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add 2 tablespoons butter, apple, thyme, sage and pepper to drippings; cook over low heat until apple is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sausage mixture. Set aside.
- 3. In a large heavy saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Combine cornmeal, salt and remaining water; slowly pour into boiling water, stirring constantly. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in sausage mixture. Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Refrigerate, covered, for 8 hours or overnight.
- 4. Slice 1/2 in. thick. Sprinkle flour over both sides of each slice. In a large skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Add slices; cook until both sides are browned. Serve with syrup. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 251 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Amish Apple Scrapple
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC