American Flag Berry Pie Recipe
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2-1/2 cups pitted dark sweet cherries
- 2-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Additional sugar
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, gently combine cherries and blueberries. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; stir into fruit. Let stand for 10 minutes. Pour into crust; dot with butter.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry into a 10-in. circle. Cut pastry in half. Cut one half into two wedges. Using a 1-in. star cookie cutter, cut out stars from one wedge. Place cutout pastry wedge over filling. Discard cutout stars.
- 4. Cut remaining pastry pieces into 1/2-in.-wide strips; position over filling to resemble a flag. Seal and flute edges. Sprinkle pastry with additional sugar. Cover edges with foil.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 418 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for American Flag Berry Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.