- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2-1/2 cups pitted dark sweet cherries
- 2-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Additional sugar
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently combine cherries and blueberries. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; stir into fruit. Let stand for 10 minutes. Pour into crust; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry into a 10-in. circle. Cut pastry in half. Cut one half into two wedges. Using a 1-in. star cookie cutter, cut out stars from one wedge. Place cutout pastry wedge over filling. Discard cutout stars.
- Cut remaining pastry pieces into 1/2-in.-wide strips; position over filling to resemble a flag. Seal and flute edges. Sprinkle pastry with additional sugar. Cover edges with foil.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for American Flag Berry Pie
Sort By :
REALLY REALLY YUMMO NUMMO Will Make this over and over again.
It looks so rustic and old fashioned! So Neat. Some smart person had to have come up with that!
This pie has quickly become a family favorite. The mix of sweet cherries and blue berries is great!! I have made it several times, but not yet for an American Holiday. It is on the menu for 4th of July, with the decorator crust, and I am anxious to show it off!! I will be adding blue sugar for the stars area and red sugar for the stripes. Thanks for a new tradition!!