America's Birthday Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Add the blueberries, nutmeg and salt; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cool.
- 4. In a small bowl, whip cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peak forms. Serve cake with sauce and whipped cream. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece with 2 tablespoons sauce and 3 tablespoons cream equals 378 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 287 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for America's Birthday Cake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.