These chewy oatmeal cookies are packed with the refreshing flavors of orange and lemon, plus dates, raisins and coconut. When our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren ask me to make "Grandma's Cookies", these are the ones they're referring to.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, peels and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Ambrosia Bites in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p43
Reviews for Ambrosia Bites
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review