Amazing Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons molasses, optional
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Hot cooked rice
- Optional toppings: chopped green onions, peanuts and fresh cilantro
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients; stir in molasses if desired. In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Top with red pepper. Pour stock mixture over top. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Stir in broccoli. Cover and cook on high 30-40 minutes longer or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice and topping: 319 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 891mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein
Reviews for Amazing Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
"It wasn't as good as it looked. Not as flavorful and a bit liquidy."
"I thought this was a good recipe. I went light on the marmalade after reading the reviews. To cut down on the salt I used no-salt added chicken broth and no-salt added ketchup. Did not add the 3/4 tsp of salt.TIP: Instead of cutting all of the chicken with a knife, I used my chicken shears and cut small chicken bites. Went a lot quicker and wasn't as messy."
"The orange marmalade was overwhelming and too intense when mixed with the other ingredients."
"Nice sauce. I went easy on the Marmalade (not my fav) and the Crushed Red Pepper Flakes. I quickly saut?ed my boneless, skinless chicken leg meat. Will make it again."
"Disappointing. Made it exactly as listed & chicken turned out dry & tasteless. I threw all of it down the garbage disposal."
"Loved this recipe, and I will definitely make it again. It lends itself well to substitutions; I didn't have orange marmalade, so I used a sweet-hot onion relish, squeezed two oranges and threw in the pulp. I should have backed off on the crushed red pepper, due to the heat of the relish, but my bad. I might try throwing in some pineapple chunks and onion next time. This is a keeper."
"delicious! Eliminated the mustard and ketchup and it came out perfect."
"My daughter and I did not like this recipe at all. The orange marmalade was overwhelming, and mixed with the other ingredients in an unfavorable way. We threw it away. Still looking for a good Orange Chicken recipe."
"I eliminated all the items that have salt in them, especially the added salt. I cooked the chicken separately and skimmed the fat. Blended it all together and it worked for me....."
"This was amazing! Followed the recipe exactly as written. Delicious! I will definitely make this again!"
"Excellent flavors! I omitted the ginger, since it doesn't agree with my husband. Be careful not to over cook the chicken. Mine was ready in 3 hours. Definitely repeatable!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.