- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons molasses, optional
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Hot cooked rice
- Optional toppings: chopped green onions, peanuts and fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients; stir in molasses if desired. In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Top with red pepper. Pour stock mixture over top. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Stir in broccoli. Cover and cook on high 30-40 minutes longer or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Amazing Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
"I followed this recipe exactly. Not to be too critical as spice is an individual taste, but my husband and myself thought it too hot and also the sauce had no thickness to it (like the restaurant varieties)"
"This looks so good, and I would love to try it, but I don't have a slow cooker. Does it work using the oven, and in that case, at which temperature??"
"It wasn't as good as it looked. Not as flavorful and a bit liquidy."
"I thought this was a good recipe. I went light on the marmalade after reading the reviews. To cut down on the salt I used no-salt added chicken broth and no-salt added ketchup. Did not add the 3/4 tsp of salt.TIP: Instead of cutting all of the chicken with a knife, I used my chicken shears and cut small chicken bites. Went a lot quicker and wasn't as messy."
"The orange marmalade was overwhelming and too intense when mixed with the other ingredients."
"Disappointing. Made it exactly as listed & chicken turned out dry & tasteless. I threw all of it down the garbage disposal."
"Loved this recipe, and I will definitely make it again. It lends itself well to substitutions; I didn't have orange marmalade, so I used a sweet-hot onion relish, squeezed two oranges and threw in the pulp. I should have backed off on the crushed red pepper, due to the heat of the relish, but my bad. I might try throwing in some pineapple chunks and onion next time. This is a keeper."
"delicious! Eliminated the mustard and ketchup and it came out perfect."
"My daughter and I did not like this recipe at all. The orange marmalade was overwhelming, and mixed with the other ingredients in an unfavorable way. We threw it away. Still looking for a good Orange chicken recipe."