- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons molasses, optional
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Hot cooked rice
- Optional toppings: chopped green onions, peanuts and fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients; stir in molasses if desired. In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Top with red pepper. Pour stock mixture over top. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Stir in broccoli. Cover and cook on high 30-40 minutes longer or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Amazing Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
"It wasn't as good as it looked. Not as flavorful and a bit liquidy."
"I thought this was a good recipe. I went light on the marmalade after reading the reviews. To cut down on the salt I used no-salt added chicken broth and no-salt added ketchup. Did not add the 3/4 tsp of salt.TIP: Instead of cutting all of the chicken with a knife, I used my chicken shears and cut small chicken bites. Went a lot quicker and wasn't as messy."
"The orange marmalade was overwhelming and too intense when mixed with the other ingredients."
"Nice sauce. I went easy on the Marmalade (not my fav) and the Crushed Red Pepper Flakes. I quickly saut?ed my boneless, skinless chicken leg meat. Will make it again."
"Disappointing. Made it exactly as listed & chicken turned out dry & tasteless. I threw all of it down the garbage disposal."
"Loved this recipe, and I will definitely make it again. It lends itself well to substitutions; I didn't have orange marmalade, so I used a sweet-hot onion relish, squeezed two oranges and threw in the pulp. I should have backed off on the crushed red pepper, due to the heat of the relish, but my bad. I might try throwing in some pineapple chunks and onion next time. This is a keeper."
"delicious! Eliminated the mustard and ketchup and it came out perfect."
"My daughter and I did not like this recipe at all. The orange marmalade was overwhelming, and mixed with the other ingredients in an unfavorable way. We threw it away. Still looking for a good Orange chicken recipe."
"I eliminated all the items that have salt in them, especially the added salt. I cooked the chicken separately and skimmed the fat. Blended it all together and it worked for me....."
"This was amazing! Followed the recipe exactly as written. Delicious! I will definitely make this again!"