Orange chicken is my favorite Chinese takeout food, but I know that it’s very high in sodium and fat. So I got to work at home and created a healthier version. Now I have peace of mind knowing what ingredients are in it and that it’s better for my family. —Barbara J. Miller, Oakdale, Minnesota
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons molasses, optional
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Hot cooked rice
- Optional toppings: chopped green onions, peanuts and fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients; stir in molasses if desired. In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Top with red pepper. Pour stock mixture over top. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Stir in broccoli. Cover and cook on high 30-40 minutes longer or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Amazing Slow Cooker Orange Chicken in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p32
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Amazing Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review