As if you need a reason to assemble a parfait, this indulgent custard concoction is an attractive way to sweeten the meal. —Susan Jordan, Roseburg, Oregon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Amaretto
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 4 whole fresh strawberries
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, Amaretto and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer custard to a small bowl; press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, spoon 1/4 cup strawberries into each of four parfait glasses. Layer each with 1/3 cup custard, 1/4 cup raspberries and 1/3 cup custard. Top each with a whole strawberry. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Amaretto Custard Berry Parfaits in Healthy Cooking April/May 2012, p53
Reviews for Amaretto Custard Berry Parfaits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review