Always-Tender Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 turkey (22 to 24 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1. In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic. Pat turkey dry. Carefully loosen skin of turkey; rub butter mixture under the skin. Sprinkle salt and pepper over skin of turkey and inside cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- 2. Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place oven bag in a roasting pan; add celery and onions. Place turkey, breast side up, over vegetables. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Skim fat and thicken drippings if desired.
- 4. If preparing turkey the day before, pour drippings into a measuring cup; skim fat. Arrange slices in an ungreased shallow roasting pan; pour drippings over turkey. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 5. The next day, bake at 350° for 45-65 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 22-24 servings.
8 ounces cooked turkey equals 512 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 230 mg cholesterol, 375 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 67 g protein.
Reviews for Always-Tender Roasted Turkey
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer