- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 turkey (22 to 24 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic. Pat turkey dry. Carefully loosen skin of turkey; rub butter mixture under the skin. Sprinkle salt and pepper over skin of turkey and inside cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place oven bag in a roasting pan; add celery and onions. Place turkey, breast side up, over vegetables. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- Bake at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Skim fat and thicken drippings if desired.
- If preparing turkey the day before, pour drippings into a measuring cup; skim fat. Arrange slices in an ungreased shallow roasting pan; pour drippings over turkey. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, bake at 350° for 45-65 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 22-24 servings.
Reviews for Always-Tender Roasted Turkey
"I've been making this recipe for, I think, 6 years now and it has always turned out perfectly!"
"This recipe is almost identical to the one I have used for years. It took me a few years to perfect my turkey and now I see a version of my trials here on ToH! This is an easy way to have your turkey come out moist and delicious with very little fuss, allowing you to spend your time on other dishes. My 10 children love turkey baked this way!"
"I made this for my family for Thanksgiving last year and they are still talking about how moist it was! Not to mention the amazing flavor it has!"