Aloha Brittle Recipe
A vacation to Hawaii inspired me to create this mouthwatering brittle. Coconuts, macadamia nuts and pecans make my tropical-tasting recipe deliciously different.
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 jar (3 ounces) macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Butter a large baking sheet with 1 teaspoon butter. Sprinkle coconut in a 12-in. circle on the prepared pan. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly. Stir in the macadamia nuts, pecans and remaining butter; cook and stir until the mixture reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- 2. Combine the baking soda, water and vanilla. Remove saucepan from the heat; stir in the baking soda mixture. Quickly pour over the coconut. Cool before breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers. Yield: 1 pound.
1 serving (1 ounce) equals 164 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Aloha Brittle
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC