A vacation to Hawaii inspired me to create this mouthwatering brittle. Coconuts, macadamia nuts and pecans make my tropical-tasting recipe deliciously different.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 jar (3 ounces) macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter a large baking sheet with 1 teaspoon butter. Sprinkle coconut
- in a 12-in. circle on the prepared pan. In a large heavy saucepan,
- combine sugar and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat until a candy
- thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly.
- Stir in the macadamia nuts, pecans and remaining butter; cook and
- stir until the mixture reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Combine the baking soda, water and vanilla. Remove saucepan from the
- heat; stir in the baking soda mixture. Quickly pour over the
- coconut. Cool before breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight
- container with waxed paper between layers. Yield: 1 pound.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 ounce) equals 164 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium,