Almond Venetian Dessert
These beautiful bars feature three colorful cake-like layers, an apricot filling and a chocolate topping.
Reva Becker, Farmington Hills, Michigan
27 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 drops green food coloring
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Grease the bottoms of three 8-in. square baking dishes. Line with
- waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- Place almond paste in a large bowl; break up with a fork. Add the
- butter, sugar, egg yolks and extract; beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Stir in flour and salt. In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft
- peaks form. Stir a fourth of the whites into the dough, then fold in
- the remaining whites (dough will be stiff).
- Divide dough evenly into three portions, about 2/3 cup each. Tint one
- portion green and one portion pink; leave the remaining portion
- white. Spread each portion into a prepared pan. Bake at 350° for
- 13-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately invert