Almond Vegetable Stir-Fry
While broccoli florets and chunks of red pepper give this dish plenty of color, it's the fresh gingerroot, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil that round out the flavor.
-Mary Relyea of Canastota, New York
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and sugar. Stir in water, soy
- sauce and sesame oil until smooth; set aside.
- In a large nonstick wok or skillet, stir-fry broccoli in hot oil 3
- minutes. Add pepper, onion, garlic and ginger; stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Stir soy sauce mixture; stir into vegetables with nuts.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 143 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 260 mg sodium,