Almond Vegetable Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli stir-fry vegetable blend
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken and almonds in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add vegetables. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, brown sugar and ginger. Stir in pineapple juice and soy sauce until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (1 cup stir-fry mixture, calculated without rice) equals 278 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 708 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.