Almond Toffee Shortbread Recipe
"The topping for these yummy shortbread squares tastes like a chewy toffee bar," describes Darlene Markel, Mr. Hood, Oregon. "If you can't find the toffee bits, buy Heath candy bars and chop them in a food processor."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package English toffee bits (10 ounces) or almond brickle chips (7-1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, divided
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 1. In a food processor or blender, place whole almonds and 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar. Cover and process until nuts are finely ground; set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine flour, salt and ground almond mixture; gradually add to creamed mixture. Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine toffee bits and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until toffee is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 cup sliced almonds and 1/2 cup coconut. Carefully spread over hot crust. Sprinkle with remaining almonds and coconut. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: about 8 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 137 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC