Almond Tassies Recipe
A rich buttery crust holds a meringue filling flavored with almond paste. With their delicate, dainty look, these cookies would be especially nice for a ladies' luncheon. —Helen Verbeke, Clifton, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1. In a bowl, cream the butter, sugar and egg yolks. Gradually add flour and salt. Divide dough into fourths; roll each portion into 12 small balls. Press each ball onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased miniature muffin cup; set aside.
- 2. For filling, combine almond paste, 1 cup sugar, egg yolks and lemon juice in a large bowl. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; beat in vanilla and remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Beat into the almond mixture.
- 3. Fill prepared cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire racks for 10 minutes. Carefully remove tassies from pans. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 330 calories, 21 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC