Almond Swedish Rusks Recipe
My dad fondly remembers the Swedish breads and baked goods his mother baked. A friend shared this recipe for these yummy cookies so I could surprise Dad with them. You could use this recipe to bake up some memories for your family.Sherri Henderson, Battle Ground, Washington
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup ground almonds
- Melted chocolate, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in almonds.
- On a greased baking sheet, shape the dough into two 11-in. x 3-1/2-in. rectangles. Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board; cut with a serrated knife into 3/4-in. slices. Place cut side down on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 10-12 minutes; turn slices over. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to a wire racks to cool. Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Almond Swedish Rusks in Country Extra November 2001, p37
Reviews for Almond Swedish Rusks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review