Almond Sunshine Citrus Recipe
- 3 large navel oranges
- 1 medium red grapefruit
- 1 medium white grapefruit
- 1 small lemon
- 1 small lime
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Grate enough peel from the oranges, grapefruit, lemon and lime to measure 1 tablespoon of mixed citrus peel; set peel aside. To section citrus fruit, cut a thin slice off the bottom and top of the oranges, grapefruit, lemon and lime. Place each fruit cut side down on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, remove peel and white pith. Holding fruit over a bowl, slice between the membrane of each section and the fruit until the knife reaches the center; remove sections and place in a glass bowl. Set 1/2 cup juice aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and reserved peel and juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Cool; stir in extract. Pour over fruit. Refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup: 197 calories, 2g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 6g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:3 fruit, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Almond Sunshine Citrus
"The last reviewer mistakenly put this down as a one star when I think they meant 5 star...this was great!"
"I love citrus so this is perfect for me. It was very good."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.