I adapted this recipe from one I found in a newspaper. The tangy combination of citrus fruits is welcome as a light dessert after a big meal of as a refreshing addition to a brunch. Friends and family rave about it. —Geri Barr of Calgary, Alberta
- 3 large navel oranges
- 1 medium red grapefruit
- 1 medium white grapefruit
- 1 small lemon
- 1 small lime
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Grate enough peel from the oranges, grapefruit, lemon and lime to measure 1 tablespoon of mixed citrus peel; set peel aside. To section citrus fruit, cut a thin slice off the bottom and top of the oranges, grapefruit, lemon and lime. Place each fruit cut side down on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, remove peel and white pith. Holding fruit over a bowl, slice between the membrane of each section and the fruit until the knife reaches the center; remove sections and place in a glass bowl. Set 1/2 cup juice aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and reserved peel and juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Cool; stir in extract. Pour over fruit. Refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Almond Sunshine Citrus in Light & Tasty April/May 2002, p29
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Almond Sunshine Citrus
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 27, 2010
"The last reviewer mistakenly put this down as a one star when I think they meant 5 star...this was great!"
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2009 Edited Feb. 25, 2016
"I love citrus so this is perfect for me. It was very good."