It's a tradition in our house to start baking Christmas cookies early in the season and try some new recipes every year. This nutty glazed melt-in-your-mouth cookie is one of my favorites. -Lisa Hummell Phillipsburg, New Jersey
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- Green food coloring, optional
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in almond extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Roll into 1-in. balls.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Coat bottom of a glass with cooking spray; dip in sugar. Flatten cookies with prepared glass, dipping glass in sugar again as needed.
- Bake at 400° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, almond extract and enough water to achieve glaze consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired; drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Almond Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2004, p27
Reviews for Almond Sugar Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review