Almond Shortbread Cutouts Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. In a food processor, combine the flour, almonds, sugar and salt; cover and process until almonds are finely ground. Cut butter into cubes; add to processor. Pulse on and off until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2. Combine the yolk, water and almond extract. While processing, gradually add yolk mixture; process until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes with floured cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3 dozen.
2 each: 108 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Almond Shortbread Cutouts
"My father loves shortbread so I went looking for a cutout cookie recipe. These are fantastic! I cut them with large cutters and probably too thick, so I don't get a full four dozen. Double the recipe. Stamped designs stay very well."
"This shortbread cookie recipe is far beyond most shortbreads in flavor. The rich buttery taste melts in your mouth with a hint of almond. I frost these with chocolate icing."