Almonds give these cookies a special flavor. Use your favorite cookie cutters to make different shapes, then let the kids have a hand in adding the finishing touches. Carole Vogel, Allison Park, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a food processor, combine the flour, almonds, sugar and salt; cover and process until almonds are finely ground. Cut butter into cubes; add to processor. Pulse on and off until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine the yolk, water and almond extract. While processing, gradually add yolk mixture; process until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes with floured cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 325° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Shortbread Cutouts in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p31
Reviews for Almond Shortbread Cutouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review