Almond Ring Coffee Cake Recipe
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat the milk, butter, sugar and salt to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg; beat for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn on a lightly floured surface; roll into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over dough to within 1 in. of edges.
- 4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet, sealing ends to form a ring. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- 6. In a small bowl, combine milk and almond extract; whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over coffee cake. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 429 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Almond Ring Coffee Cake
"Very good cake. I am not very good with yeast recipes, but have to say this one turned out pretty good. I would definitely make this again. It was a simple recipe and not hard to make. You have to like almond, which I do. It is a "keeper" recipe."