Almond Ring Coffee Cake Recipe
At our farm, we sometimes host tours of visitors to New England. I serve this special yeast bread to our guests first thing in the morning with coffee. It's also a regular on our family's Christmas menu. -Vie Spence, Woburn, Massachusetts
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat the milk, butter, sugar and salt to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg; beat for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn on a lightly floured surface; roll into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over dough to within 1 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet, sealing ends to form a ring. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and almond extract; whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over coffee cake. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Almond Ring Coffee Cake in Taste of Home December/January 1998, p39
Reviews for Almond Ring Coffee Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review