- 5 cups water, divided
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Fresh mint, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring 4 cups of water, rice and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in milk and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until milk is absorbed and rice is creamy. Remove from the heat; stir in almonds and extract. Cool slightly; cover and chill.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining water; add raspberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Cover and chill.
- Just before serving, whip cream until soft peaks form; fold into rice mixture. Spoon into individual serving dishes and top with raspberry sauce. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Almond Rice with Raspberry Sauce in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p24
Reviews for Almond Rice with Raspberry Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 10, 2014
"Love this receipe, I've made it alot Taste great and looks wonderful."