Almond Rice Pudding (Ris a l'amande)
This rich and creamy rice pudding is traditionally served at Christmas Eve dinner in Scandinavia. The cherries give it a holiday look.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + Cook: 35 min. + chilling
- 8 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium grain rice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry or raspberry pie filling
- Toasted Diamond of California Slivered Almonds
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the milk, rice, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes
- or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from the
- heat; transfer to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, stir in chopped almonds and extract. Fold in
- whipped cream. Garnish with pie filling and slivered almonds. Yield:
- 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 379 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium,