This rich and creamy rice pudding is traditionally served at Christmas Eve dinner in Scandinavia. The cherries give it a holiday look.
- 8 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium grain rice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry or raspberry pie filling
- Toasted slivered almonds
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the milk, rice, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; transfer to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, stir in chopped almonds and extract. Fold in whipped cream. Garnish with pie filling and slivered almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Almond Rice Pudding (Ris a l'amande) in Country Woman November/December 2006, p48
Reviews for Almond Rice Pudding (Ris a l'amande)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 28, 2012
"Ate it for the first time during Christmas in Denmark. It's really delicious! I can only recommend it!"