Almond Rhubarb Pastry Recipe
One thing's certain each time I serve this...someone will ask for the recipe! My family...my husband and our children, 12 and 9—and I live on the outskirts of town. I grow my rhubarb, and my plant gets bigger every year.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 6 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup 2% milk, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca and rhubarb; let stand for 15 minutes. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the eggs and 1/4 cup milk; add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Add some or all of remaining milk if necessary.
- 2. Divide dough in half so that one piece is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger half into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- 3. Spoon rhubarb filling into crust. Roll out remaining dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Place over filling. Fold bottom edge of dough over top layer of dough; press edges together to seal.
- 4. For topping, melt butter in a small saucepan; add sugar and milk. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Spread over pastry. Sprinkle almonds over top.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 2 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC