Almond Rhubarb Pastry
One thing's certain each time I serve this...someone will ask for the recipe!
My family...my husband and our children, 12 and 9—and I live on the outskirts of town. I grow my rhubarb, and my plant gets bigger every year.
24 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 6 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup 2% milk, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca and rhubarb; let stand
- for 15 minutes. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder
- and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine the eggs and 1/4 cup milk; add to crumb mixture, tossing
- with a fork until dough forms a ball. Add some or all of remaining
- milk if necessary.
- Divide dough in half so that one piece is slightly larger than the